The dog days of summer are over, and students have already gone back to school, but for the next few months the weather is going to be perfect. Not too hot, a kiss of fall in the air, and picturesque autumnal foliage…
What better way to spend the weekend than to journey outdoors with a couple of companions and enjoy a lovely cannabis picnic?
What is a Cannabis Picnic?
A cannabis picnic takes all of the tenants of a regular picnic and then elevates it to the next level.
On the low maintenance end, maybe it just means bringing along a lovely joint, edibles, or vape for smoking after your picnic is all set up.
If you are feeling more bougie, perhaps bring some food that is spiked with cannabis. There are even cannabis beverages, similar to alcoholic ciders or IPAs.
Choosing the Right Place
Maybe there’s a park you love, or have been meaning to check out. Perhaps somewhere along the water (lake, river, and ocean, all are good options).
Perhaps there’s an event like an outdoor movie screening that would be fun to attend. Or a production of Shakespeare in the park.
Obviously use your judgement when it comes to sparking up a joint or a bowl. If there are families with children around, be courteous and don’t rip a vape or smoke a fat blunt while in close proximity to other people
The most important thing is that you are outside for an extended period of time, enjoying nature.
Things to Include
No matter what kind of picnic you are planning there are a few standard things that need to come along. A blanket, napkins, utensils, cups, plates, and food. These are just baseline picnic items.
Think about the type of food that does well outdoors when deciding what to pack.
- Nothing wrong with an update on an old classic: a really nice tuna sandwich, a fat turkey or ham sandwich on rye, maybe a PB&J, or a bahn mi. Heck, even go to Subway beforehand. Just have a sandwich.
- Tortilla, plain potato chips, popcorn, and pita chips are all great options as well as blank slates for dip.
- A couple of different dip options will have something for everyone.
- Hummus, salsa, and French onion dip are the holy trifecta.
- Cold drinks
- Sparkling water, frozen bottles of water, capri suns, anything to stay hydrated and combat cottonmouth.
- Something sweet
- Since this is a cannabis picnic, and infused edibles are often of the sweet variety, perhaps you could bring some along!
- Not everyone has the same type of sweet tooth. Some people are staunchly parked in team gummy, while others are obsessed with chocolate and its many different partners.
- Bring a few options, you’ll be happy to alternate between flavors.
A cannabis picnic could be as simple or complex as you dream for it to be.
There’s always an option to bring more things along, like: pillows, a poncho in case it gets chilly, an umbrella to block the sun, bug spray, a speaker, cards, maybe coloring books…follow your heart on this one! What would help you unwind and have the perfect outdoor excursion?
How to Infuse Your Own Food
If you haven’t tried a cannabis tincture maybe now is the time!
Tinctures come in little dropper bottles and are concentrated, so you won’t need much.
Start with a couple of drops to see what the right dosage is for you before eventually progressing to using the full dropper. You can add the tincture to your drink, hold it under your tongue (sublingually), or even put it right on top of your food.
Try a CBD-rich tincture if you are craving passive bodily relief. For a more active psychoactive experience, perhaps a THC leaning tincture is the right one for you.
Note: Both CBD and THC tinctures may work better if they include at least 1% ratio of each other. This is called full-spectrum cannabis, and when all the parts of the cannabis plant come together it is called the ensemble effect.
Picnics are a great way to shake up your routine, get outside, and make some great memories.
Hosting a cannabis picnic can be as simple or complex as your heart desires. At the end of the day, even just having a joint ready to go in case the social outdoor moment strikes is enough preparation for a fun time.
Be sure to stop by one of our stores and ask our friendly JARS budtenders which products they recommend for your lovely outdoor excursion.